- Support Build Back Better in the Senate – The landmark Build Back Better bill passed the House on November 19th. The bill increases Pell Grants for college; includes money for training workers; expands free school meals, rental assistance, and health care coverage for the poor (allowing some folks to get coverage through ACA for $0 monthly premiums); caps out of pocket costs for prescriptions under Medicare; extends the child tax credit for another year, etc. See the Sierra Club fact sheet for more information on contents of the bill and the Congressional Budget Office report on its effect on the US deficit. Please ask our Senators to support this bill. You can contact them through the links below or send an email through this link. Please also contact the 2 Democratic Senators who have not yet agreed to support the bill.
- Petitions to Sign –
- This petition asks Congress to investigate House members who reportedly collaborated with the January 6th insurrectionists.
- This petition urges Amazon to stop selling textiles manufactured using toxic chemicals.
- Although the House censured Rep. Paul Gosar for tweeting a video of him killing fellow House member Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, here is a petition calling for his expulsion.
- Good News!
- France has passed a bill prohibiting the use of wild animals in circuses.
- The administration is proposing a 20-year drilling ban in Chaco Canyon NM.
- The Rutherford TN County judge that was exposed for illegally jailing grade school children now has an opponent in the next election. Jacob Flatt is running for Juvenile Court Judge.
- President Biden signed the Puppies Assisting Wounded Servicemembers (PAWS) for Veterans Therapy Act. It requires the VA to make service dogs available to veterans with PTSD and create a program where veterans with PTSD can help train service dogs for other veterans.
- Educate Yourself
- Read the report from Aspen Institute’s Commission on Information Disorder on the crisis of trust and truth in America. It makes 15 recommendations on how to increase transparency, build trust and reduce harms from disinformation.
- Did you know that 63% of Americans feel Roe v Wade should be upheld and only 27% want it overturned? In addition, 45% think SCOTUS should make it easier to get an abortion in the USA.
- Learn how Shelby County prosecutors try more kids as adults than the whole rest of TN combined, and nearly all are Black.
- A federal judge in Alabama blocked an administration rule preventing states from using COVID-relief monies to offset tax cuts.
To learn more and to connect, visit the website here Maryville Huddle Women’s March Coalition of East Tennessee; or on Facebook.
ABOUT Women’s March Coalition: On January 21st, 2017, the first day of Trump’s presidency, millions of women from across the country took to the streets for the first Women’s March, from there the Women’s March Coalition and Huddles were formed. The Maryville Huddle East Tennessee organized a community- and issue-based Huddle to sustain the movement ignited on that day. To find or establish a Huddle near you, go to womensmarch.com.