- Get to know your local county government. A calendar of meetings (with agendas and minutes) are posted online for Blount County. Find your County Commissioners.
- Note: July 13th Redistricting Committee meeting was canceled
- Support Coal Ash Disposal Bill – Rep. Cohen of Memphis has introduced in the House the Ensuring Safe Disposal of Coal Ash Act that strengthens regulations surround coal ash clean up. Please ask Rep. Burchett to support this bill.
- Petitions to Sign
- Deadline July 15 – Tell TVA to invest in clean energy to replace the Kingston coal plant
- Congratulations Zaila Avante-garde! Spelling Bee Champ and the first African American to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee in 93 editions of the competition.
- A federal judge temporarily blocked Tennessee’s anti-transgender bathroom bill which took effect on July 1.
- The statues of 2 Confederate Generals were removed from downtown Charlottesville, VA on Saturday. In Tennessee, the bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest is closer to removal from the state Capitol following the end this week of a 120-day waiting period.
- NAACP Redistricting, Race, and Representation training – Monday Jul 12.
- EPA has relaunched it’s Climate Change Indicators site. It’s full of information on how scientists track and better understand the effects of changes in the Earth’s climate.
Members of Congress (MoC) Contact Information
A good way to fax these folks is to use ResistBot. Text “resist” to 50409 and follow the instructions. When contacting them in any form, always ask for a response.
Rep. Tim Burchett: 800 Market St. Suite 110 Knoxville TN 37902, phone: 202-225-5435 (DC), 865-523-3772 (Knoxville), 865-984-5464 (Maryville), email = https://burchett.house.gov/zip-code-lookup?form=/contact/email-me , Twitter = @timburchett
Sen. Bill Hagerty: phone: 202-224-4944 (DC), 865-545-4253 (Knoxville), 423-752-5337 (Chattanooga) or 615-736-5129 (Nashville), email: https://www.hagerty.senate.gov/ , Twitter = @BillHagertyTN
Sen. Marsha Blackburn: 357 Dirksen Senate Office Building, Washington DC 20510 or 800 Market St. Suite 121 Knoxville TN 37902; phone: 202-224-3344 (DC), 865-540-3781 (Knoxville), 423-541-2939 (Chattanooga), 629-800-6600 (Nashville); email = https://www.blackburn.senate.gov/email-me , Twitter = @MarshaBlackburn
See & Bookmark this calendar: https://sites.google.com/view/wmcethuddle/calendar?authuser=0
Environment Working Group monthly meeting, July 14, 4:30 PM, Location: The Bird and The Book
Race Relations Symposium, July 16 and 17, Attached is an updated flyer for the Race Relations Symposium on July 16 and 17. Participants will need to register for the sessions they plan to attend.
Registration link for the Friday, July 16 session at 6:30 p.m. to be held via Zoom – https://forms.gle/f5u3heB8QNDW7vhdA
Registration link for the Saturday, July 17 session from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. to be held via Zoom – https://forms.gle/U18c1bYFRpHMnLkMA
Registration link for the Saturday, July 17 session for children and youth from 10 to 11:45 a.m. to be held at the Blount County Public Library – https://forms.gle/fxk5ZKTWtEpeNct56
NAACP Meeting July 24th Sat 11:45AM. Followed by BC United Zoom Meeting at 1PM. For Zoom information contact email@example.com.
Maryville Huddle Meeting, July 29th, Thurs 7-9 PM: Challenges faced by Refugees.Speaker is Drocella Mugorawera, Executive Director of Bridge Refugee Services. Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 828 7451 2471, Passcode: 148288 Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/482725699626018?ref=newsfeed
Future Huddle Meeting Dates: We will continue to meet via Zoom on the last Thursday of the month. 2021 Meeting Dates:
- July 29th (Bridge Refugee Services),
- Aug 26th (TN Healthcare Block Grants),
- Sept 30th New Federal Policies Update), Oct 28th. No meetings in November and December.