Although challenges, crises, and controversies remain, a new era has begun. for the Huddle. You will see this pivot reflected in the Good News and Educate Yourself sections below. Some great ideas are emerging on the federal level and we look forward to supporting their enactment. On the state and local level, well that’s another matter…
- Support ERA – Senate Joint Resolution 1 is a bipartisan bill that removes the deadline for ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. 38 States have ratified the ERA Amendment, so removing the deadline would allow it to be included in the US Constitution. It has been referred to the Judiciary Committee and Sen. Blackburn sits on that committee. Please request that she vote for SJR1. Contact information is below.
- Support Rep. Johnson – Rep. Johnson knew she was going to have to changes offices in the TN Capitol building because of remodeling but what she didn’t know is that her vote against Speaker Sexton would result in retribution. He moved her into a tiny conference room and put her assistant (who is battling cancer) in a closet, with no airflow and missing ceiling tiles. Rep. Johnson moved her assistant into the conference room and she is now sitting in the hallway at the desk they gave her. Please call Speaker Sexton (615-741-2343) or email him at email@example.com to ask he find her suitable office space.
To find out and to contact your Tennessee legislators click here.
- Here is a summary of the first Executive orders signed by the president.
- Selling leases for oil drilling in Artic National Wildlife Refuge has been temporarily halted.
- US Census chief quit last week, so they were not able to submit numbers to the US Supreme Court on undocumented folks. The new administration has subsequently issued a statement that ALL people residing in the USA will be counted.
- Lawmakers who objected to the election results have been cut off by 20 of their largest PAC donors. If HR1 passes (see above), PAC donations will be limited and transparent, i.e. no more dark money.
- Democratic Senators have filed a formal request to investigate Sens. Cruz & Hawley for their role in fomenting insurrection.
- The TX Supreme Court has paved the way for the Sandy Hook Families to sue Alex Jones for defamation.
- The new administration has suspended all oil & gas permitting on federal lands and waters for the next 60 days.
- Nearly 40 million people watched the inauguration.
- The new administration is forming a commission to examine reform of the Supreme Court
- AppHarvest is turning Kentucky coal country into the world’s largest indoor farming area.
- An Executive order issued ends the Justice Department’s use of private prisons.
- Louisville police have been rebuked by a commission on their handling of Breonna Taylor’s killing.
- General Motors will stop making gas- and diesel-powered cars and SUVs by 2025.
- See the Economic Policy Institute’s top charts from 2020 that provide details on the economic fallout from the pandemic.
- Read the state-by-state and county-by-county assessment of the wellbeing of children in the USA and in TN published by Kids Count Data Center.
- Learn how dark money forces are promoting bills against transgender youth in 14 states, including TN.
- The Raise the Way Act has been filed in both the House (HR582) and Senate (S150). Learn about why we need $15 per hour wage. See this interactive Congressional district map will see their wages increase if the bills pass. In our district (TN 2nd), 29% of workers would benefit.
- Learn about Citi Group’s plan to spend $1.15bilion to help close America’s racial wealth gap.
- Learn about how a group of children in Canada are suing the government over ensuring Climate safety.
- Did you know the army initially denied that Mike Flynn’s brother (who is also a general) was originally on the call asking for National Guard troops to help protect the Capitol on Jan 6th?
- The final count of lies told by 45 during his time in office was 30,573. Want to bet more are discovered in the ensuing months?
- Here is a complete analysis of the 4 years of the last administration.
- Learn about how 45’s reelection campaign paid for the rally on Jan. 6th.
Q & A with Creators of Black in Appalachia, Feb 2nd, Tues Noon: Angela Dennis & Dr. Enkeshi El-Amin. Presented by East TN Society Professional Journalists & UT School of Journalism. Register here. FB event:
Join the Book Study on Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson; Feb 3rd, Wed 8PM: Conducted by Rev. Sarah Slack and Wendy Wand. Register here. For more information, see the Huddle calendar.
Environment Working Group Meeting. Feb 10th, Wed 4:30-6PM: Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81614355574?pwd=QlI5ckFwSVBsbWovUGxyQUxWeWljQT09 , Meeting ID: 816 1435 5574, Passcode: 716695. One tap mobile: 646-558-8656, 301-715-8592
Criminalizing the Mountain South: Persistent Inequities; Feb 10th, Wed 5:30-7:30 PM: Sponsored by the Africana Studies Program, Dept. of Sociology & Others at UT. Speakers: Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson, Judah Schept & Sylvia Ryerson. Click here to register for online Zoom meeting. See Huddle calendar for more details.
Are Police Killings of Civilians Racially Biased? Feb 12th, Fri 10-11AM. This presentation is part of the Baker Café Series, sponsored by the Howard J. Baker Jr. Center for Public Policy at UT. Speaker: Dr. Stephanie Bohon. This virtual event is free and open to the public. The zoom meeting link can be found here.
2021 Citizens’ Climate Lobby Appalachia Regional Conference; Feb 20th Sat 1:45PM – Feb 2st, Sun 3:30 PM: .For more information and to register, visit this link.
Maryville Huddle Meeting Legislative Update; Feb 25th, Thurs 7PM. Please join us to hear information on activities in the current session of the TN General Assembly provided by Rep. Bob Ramsey, Rep. Gloria Johnson & Sen. Richard Briggs. Zoom meeting information will be provided soon. For more information visit the website here.