Actions for the week of September 13th and updates on what lawmakers did to date.
EWG Meeting Minutes: The minutes of the August Environment Working Group meeting can be accessed here.
Absentee Ballot Update: A federal judge has ruled that first-time voters in TN can now vote by absentee ballot. This means that around 128,000 newly registered voters may be eligible to apply for an absentee ballot, including college students. The US Postal Service mailed an instructional postcard regarding absentee ballots. See this photo for details. They recommend
- Applying for a ballot as soon as possible, and no later than October 19, 2020.
- Complete the ballot per instructions, sign the ballot envelope and insert it in the external envelope, then apply 55 cents in postage stamps.
- Mail ballot as soon as possible and no later than October 27, 2020.
Complete 2020 Census: Please spread the word that EVERYONE should complete the Census. Recent reports indicate that only 70% of Blount County Residents have completed the Census. Please do so online or complete the mailed census form ASAP. A federal judge in CA has applied an injunction preventing the administration from winding down in-person counting and another one blocked 45’s plan to exclude data on undocumented immigrants.
Actions for Week of September 13, 2020
- Election Countdown – 50 days until the election. Now is the time to do something to support candidates running for office. Your mission this week is to take at least one action. Feel free to let us know what you’ve done.
- Presidential Debate Question – Please consider asking the Commission on Presidential Debates to make climate change a centerpiece of the debates. You can write a note to the Commission at 1200 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Suite 445, Washington DC 20036, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at 202-872-1020.
- Good News!
- Africa has been declared free of wild polio.
- By a vote of 8-2, the full federal appeals court rejected the request by Dept. Justice to end the Michael Flynn case.
- A federal judge has extended the deadline for absentee ballots submitted in the state of Georgia to be postmarked by Nov. 3rd and received no later than 7 PM Nov. 10th.
- Old Navy will pay its employees to work the polls on Election Day.
- Educate Yourself
- EPA has relaxed rules limiting coal plants from polluting waterways with lead, arsenic, mercury, etc.
- The administration has instructed federal agencies to cancel racial sensitivity training.
- Learn what economists think the next COVID-relief package from Congress should include.
- Unfortunately, a federal judge overruled a lower court and has upheld Florida’s poll tax on convicted felons.
If you want to write postcards from home, please let us know. Supplies will be delivered to your door/porch/convenient drop off site. This group is working hard to support local candidates, so please consider participating!
Upcoming Events to Bookmark
Sept 15th, Tues 7PM: Knoxville Citizens Climate Lobby Zoom Meeting. Zoom Meeting Online: https://zoom.us/j/3447087937 Passcode: 123 or by phone: 1-929-205-6099: 3447087937
Sept 22nd, Tues: 11:30 AM: BC Ecumenical Action Council Meeting. Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81204312410. Meeting ID: 812 0431 2410. Call in 312 626 6799 or 646 558 8656.
Sept 24th 12-1PM: Virtual Latino Award Lunch. Sponsored by Centro Hispano. Because the event is online and costs are much fewer, tickets are free and everyone can join the event! We are hoping folks are moved to donate during the event and that will help us make up for the loss in
Sept 24th, Thurs 7-9 PM: Maryville Huddle Meeting. Speaker: Wendy Wand of United Way. Topic: ALICE Demographic Study and its pertinence to Blount County. Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82225817776?pwd=OXphT2JEL0crNWJHdzJ2MWxsdkpOZz09 , Meeting ID: 822 2581 7776, Passcode: 557560, Call in 646-558-8656, or 301-715-8592. See FB event for details: https://www.facebook.com/events/316409899809366/
Sept 26th, Sat 11:45AM: BC NAACP Zoom meeting, to be immediately followed by BC United Zoom meeting. Zoom meeting link to be provided soon. Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/7704285423 . Meeting ID: 770 428 5423. Call in 301-715-8592,770-428-5423, 312-626-6799, 770-428-5423
Oct 14-29th: Early Voting Period. Note: The BC Courthouse is no longer an early voting location. Early voting locations:
- Foothills Mall near JC Penny: Mon-Sat from 10AM- 6PM
- Blount County Public Library: Mon-Fri from 11AM-7PM
- Everett Gym/Rec Center: Mon-Fri from 11AM- 7PM
- Pellissippi State College: Mon-Fri from 11AM-7PM
- Providence Baptist Church: Mon-Fri from 11AM-7PM
Future Huddle Meeting Dates: We will continue to meet via Zoom at least through the end of the year on the last Thursday of the month. Please save these future meeting dates:
- Sept 24 (ALICE [asset-limited, income-constrained, employed] Demographic Study
- Oct 29 (Institutional Racism in Housing & Employment).
- No meetings in November & December.
- Jan 28, 2021 (Strategic Planning – Where do we go from here?)
Have a good week!