Blount County Democratic Party Annual Roosevelt Dinner Honored Outstanding Community Members
MARYVILLE, TN (Nov. 18, 2019) – The Blount County Annual Roosevelt Dinner & Fundraiser was on Saturday, Nov 18, 2019 at Green Meadow Country Club.
The event paid tribute to recently deceased Dorothy Mitchell-Kincaid, a dedicated Democrat and life-long human rights advocate who lived in Alcoa, TN. Oliver “Buzz” Thomas served as master of ceremonies. The invocation was given by Rev. Dr. Willa Estell and the keynote speaker was Rev. Dr. Harold Middlebrook. (You can watch the video HERE.)
TheBCDP presented Marjorie Stewart with the Dorothy Mitchell-Kincaid Community Impact Award at their annual dinner. Before her passing in August 2019, Mitchell-Kincaid said she wanted the award named in her honor to be given to Stewart in recognition for her lifelong commitment to education, equality, diversity and the well-being of all.
Stewart serves on the board of the Dorothy Mitchell-Kincaid Beloved Community Outreach Foundation, an organization focused on helping those with chronic illnesses by assisting them with rent, utilities, gas for transportation and food.
BCDP Chair Sarah Herron presented the first Democracy Award to TN. State Rep. Gloria Johnson. Lisa Misosky received the award for Community Advocacy and Sue DuBois for Outstanding Service. BCDP First Vice-Chair and 2018 recipient Nathan Higdon presented Sue and Bob Hanye with the 2019 Democrats of the Year.
The 2019 awards recipients were:
- Marjorie Stewart: Dorothy Mitchell-Kincaid Community Impact Award, in recognition for her lifelong commitment to education, equality, diversity and the well-being of all.
- Robert & Sue Hanye: Democrat(s) of the Year, in recognition for their effective leadership and tireless work in advancing the Blount County Democratic Party, supporting Democratic candidates and standing up for our values.
- Lisa Misosky: Chair’s Award for Community Advocacy, in recognition of her unwavering commitment to equality and justice, and for providing a place for Democratic values to take root and thrive.
- Sue DuBois: Chair’s Award for Outstanding Service, in recognition for going the extra mile to amplify our voices, advance our values and support Democratic candidates.
- Rep. Gloria Johnson, D-Knoxville: Democracy Award, in recognition for serving Tennesseans with an unwavering commitment to democracy and human rights.
Sarah Herron, BCDP Chair credits the efforts of the Donor Engagement was spearheaded by Buzz Thomas, yielded the needed funds to open an office in 2020, according to BCDP Chair Sarah Herron. The events committee of Patti Young, Peggy Jackson, and Marte Lawrence, as well as hardworking treasurer Vickie Stewart.
For more information visit blount.tndp.org or on Facebook page at Blount County Democratic Part – TN.